KILMURRY HISTORICAL & ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY INCORPORATING
THE TERENCE MACSWINEY MEMORIAL MUSEUM
KILMURRY HISTORICAL & ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY was
formed in1963 by a group of local people interested in preserving
& displaying the rich historical and archaeological heritage
of the area. The Society operates a museum located in a renovated
farm building located in Kilmurry village. This facility is
generously donated, on an on-going basis, by the Galvin family
The museum building was once occupied by the family of the
late Terence McSwiney, martyred Lord Mayor of Cork and the
museum was officially opened in 1965 by Maire MacSwiney Brugha
daughter of Terence McSwiney and named the "The Terence
McSwiney Memorial Museum".
Among the extensive display of artefacts in the museum are:
" Extensive collection pictures, artefacts, documents,
etc., relating to the late Terence MacSwiney, martyred Lord
Mayor of Cork, whose descendants came, and still reside, in
the immediate area.
" Exhibition of equipment , uniforms, literature, etc.
from The War of Independence, particularly representing the
Kilmichael Ambush, including "Crossley Tender" wheel
presented by the late General Tom Barry, etc.
" Ambush layout, pictures, artefacts, etc. relating to
the General Michael Collins / Bealnablath ambush.
" The complete kitchen, including seats, table, dresser,
etc., of An tAthair Peadair O'Laoghaire, author of, "Séadhna"
and other contemporary Irish books.
" Books, pictures and artefacts relating to the late
Bishop Edward Galvin
" Photographs, and sports equipment and other GAA-related
memorabilia dating back to the formation of the organisation.
" Re-created smithy with extensive collection of tools,
" Various pre-Christian artefacts recovered from Kilmurry
and it's hinterland.
" Archaeological and ecclesiastical artefacts, farm tools
and equipment, etc., dating back to pre-history.
The society is committed to maintaining, and where necessary
restoring, (under professional supervision), the rich treasure
of archaeological and historical sites in the Kilmurry area.
During Summer months the society run conducted visits to
sites of local historical and heritage interest, it is planned
to extend these visits to other museums in Cork county.
The KILMURRY HISTORICAL & ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY NEWSLETTER
is produced bi-annually, approx. 500 copies are distributed
by members on a free-of-charge through local outlets throughout
Our display of artefacts has now outgrown the capacity of
the present museum to display and preserve them, the society
plans re-locate the museum to a new, purpose-built, building
in the village that will provide the space and environmental
control facilities required to develop and extend our current
exhibition and storage capacity.
TERENCE MACSWINEY MEMORIAL MUSEUM, KILMURRY,
Sundays - Easter to Oct. 31, 1400- 1730.
New members, particularly welcome, you are welcome to call
to one of our committee meetings these are held on the first
Friday of the month in Kilmurry GAA pavilion, 9 p.m.